Saturday, May 17, 2014

Summer Reading: Haruki Murakami

What I Talk About When I talk About Running by Haruki Murakami 

 It's surprising to find out that a gifted novelist is also a serious runner. The title of Murakami's book marries one of my favorite activities (running) to one of my least favorite authors (Raymond Carver). The book is, of course, about more than running. Lurking below the surface is a meditative exposition on aging and just being alive. Murakami's rich prose evokes an almost precise feeling that I've tried to imagine before, that of how ones body begins to breakdown. For him it was manifest in not having that certain gust of energy near the conclusion of a marathon. I wonder what my own signs will be? In truth my body and my age are headed in different directions right now. As my fitness level increases, I feel younger and more capable. I expect to hit a ceiling at some point in the future where my body ceases to improve... But until that happens I won't be worrying about it.  

[available from Amazon.ca and Amazon.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment