Monday, October 17, 2016

The Bulletproof Challenge: Day 14
















Day 14 began with my body craving carbs, as apparently I had cut them a little too far.  I had a total of 33g of carbs on Day 13 and 39g on Day 12.  Even Day 11 was low, with only 209g consumed.  Despite this, and despite consuming slightly more calories now than before, my waist has shrunk noticeably. I once again fit comfortably into my size 33 khakis.
At any rate, when I woke up, I had my usual Bulletproof coffee with Upgraded Protein Bar as well as a bowl of sushi rice. Well, that really hit the spot. Some sweet potatoes at dinner ought to round things out nicely.
The real challenge on this diet isn't avoiding food so much as making sure you get enough of it.  Because this diet seems to regulate hunger hormones so well, it can be easy to deprive yourself of certain nutrients by being too rigid.  And therein lies my only real concern at the moment.
I am going to up my consumption of carbohydrates a bit... to 100g and see if that keeps my glycogen stores stocked on non-running days.
Otherwise, the transition to keto is tougher than I thought. Perhaps coincidentally, I caught a viral infection that has kept me from running. I strongly suspect that cutting my carbs too much caused this to happen, as I very rarely ever get sick.  In fairness to myself, recent weather issues have certainly contributed.  Additionally, although I had very nearly run this morning, I simply wasn't 100% sure I wanted to risk my tenuous grasp on feeling good.
Anyway, I have not run since Wednesday and that really sucks.  Of course my legs were definitely feeling the increase in workload, and the thought of taking a few days off has in fact occurred to me.

If I could change or revise my recent diet, I wouldn't have cut carbs back so much. The diet certainly doesn't call for such a drastic reduction, so I don't blame the diet.  I'm down to 184, though I suspect about .5 to 1lbs of this is lost glycogen. The smart scale readings show definite fat loss, with a modest uptick in muscle percentage (note: I have almost certainly lost some muscle as well).

I've said before, I'm already in shape. I do this diet primarily to avoid spikes in my blood sugar.

I'm trying "The Mentalist" offering from Bulletproof. So far so good.







No comments:

Post a Comment