Saturday, October 1, 2016

Gingerbread and Trails

Today's run club meeting was fairly interesting. We hit the trails for a good chunk of our run and I may well have trail fever now. What changed?
It must have been about halfway through our first segment when I noticed a lack of impact pressure in my hips--not sure I mentioned that I got a diagnosis of mild hip arthritis recently. I could have run all day on the trails.
*
I adhere to some fairly strict rules about nutrition. One major rule is that I don't eat foods that promote or cause inflammation (e.g. processed foods etc). Another is that I try to eat foods that reduce inflammation whenever possible (ginger, garlic, cayenne pepper, green tea).  I have yet to reach the point when I run without at least a little notice in my hips, but I'm pretty sure I've stopped things from getting any worse.  This is little comfort because I will eventually have to give up serious running at some point.
*
As it is now, any run over 21k has to be on a trail.
*
Saskatoon's notoriously short autumn is about to give way to early winter.
*
Brainsport just announced the 2016 Gingerbread Run.  I surprised myself by registering for the 5K. I'm eager to run a 5K with proper training (i.e. not one day removed from a 30k run... haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment