Sunday, January 24, 2016

Countdown to the Hypothermic Half Marathon and Super Bowl

We are two weeks away from Super Bowl Sunday.  Now one of the things I love about this particular Sunday is that I can pretty much eat whatever I want and justify it by pointing to the fact that this particular day comes once a year, just like Christmas, my birthday, New Years, New Years Eve, my spouse's birthday, each kid's birthday, Canada Day, Saskatchewan Day, Father's Day, Valentine's Day, Boxing Day, Victoria Day and all the other days when my diet seems to go out the window.  But seriously, for the dozen or so says per year when absolutely nothing is happening that could possibly threaten a diet, I tend to eat pretty well.  Jokes aside, I eat pretty well... mostly.  Ahem.

For Super Bowl Sunday, I'm thinking:

  • nachos - with lime salt.
  • guacamole dip (made from organic avocados) with chopped raw garlic
  • dark chocolate
  • black licorices
  • coconut ice cream bars

This is all vegan, so there's that.

Of course, justifying this calorie expenditure won't be too hard because earlier in the day I will be running the Hypothermic Half Marathon here in Saskatoon.  I don't have any predictions for how fast I will be running this particular race.  I will say that I'm not expecting to come in under 2 hours--this is primarily owing to the fact that this is mainly a tune-up race to see where I am overall.   For example, right now I'm building up leg strength so that when I do take a shot at < 1:59:59 again my hamstrings won't tear.

Speaking of hamstrings, I've been going pretty hard at bodyweight exercises lately (squats, push-ups, planking and the occasional lunge and side lunge).  I'm fairly confident that I've put on at least two to three pounds of muscle this month, if not more, given that my weight (currently 181.6) hasn't budged in several weeks and my waistline continues to shrink, albeit ever so slightly.

So that's the news!

No comments:

Post a Comment