Thursday, January 21, 2016

Brainsport's Run Club Review & Happy 25th Brainsport!

A photo posted by John (@misterspalding) on


Last night I ran with Brainsport's run club for the first time since 2014.  Since moving to Saskatoon I've bought nearly all my running shoes from Brainsport, including two pairs of Hokas recently, and I've purchased a fair amount of gear as well.  It's fairly evident to me that Brainsport really has not only become the premiere running store in Saskatoon (perhaps even Saskatchewan) but also the premiere run club as well, and here's why:
The first thing I noticed when I was parking my car on 10th Street was just how many people I saw in running gear on the sidewalks making their way to the store (most of them were actually running).  I felt like I was entering a church on Sunday morning.
Brainsport's owner and co-founder, Brian Michasiw, was on hand and made several announcements related to the store's 25th Anniversary, including a Las Vegas trip giveaway--note: I did not enter to win the trip.  Brian has won the Saskatchewan Marathon numerous times and is something of a running celebrity I think.
As it turned out Wednesday's run club meeting had nearly a dozen different pace groups, including run/walk, run and just walking groups.  I joined the C group, which ran a 6:00/k pace and was led by Brainsport Alumni Ian.  Sure enough we quickly knocked off nearly seven kilometres at that quick pace (I say quick because it was on snow, and many of us wore spikes).  Our fastest split was a 5:44.
It was a great deal of fun to be running with such enthusiastic and motivated people--so much so that our 42 minute run felt too short.



Bonus pic: best socks ever


No comments:

Post a Comment