Thursday, February 4, 2016

Running in Banff



At nearly a metric mile above sea level, Banff, Alberta isn't known as a running city. In fact, as you navigate the thronged sidewalks in the quaint resort town, it becomes apparent rather quickly that this is a place for shopping, skiing and snowboarding. Yet, feeling a need to do some running at elevation, I chose this place to stage my final long run before the Hypothermic Half Marathon in Saskatoon (500 metres above sea level) on February 7th.

Sure enough, as Canadian Running points out, there are "a few gentle rolls, but nothing significant". It's pretty flat, and as you run along the path you'll notice the Vermillion Lakes and Mount Rundle.

In winter it's not a bad idea to wear spikes as you run the 4.5 kilometre span.  And watch out, although the speed limit is 30, I saw one minivan speed along at at least 60.

For the most part, though, I think I had a tougher time dealing with the added elevation of Banff than I did with the temperature or terrain.  (Truth be told, it took me a few weeks to adjust to running in Saskatoon, which is at 500 metres above sea level--at 1500 metres above sea level, Banff presents an entirely different challenge.)

The views along the way were quite beautiful, but the bear-proof waste receptacles were quite unnerving.  After all, why would you have bear-proof receptacles?  Do I risk running into such animals?

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of my run was how elevated my heart rate got.  At 160 bpm, my heart rate was clearly higher than my usual slow run--I spent 57% of the run in the Anaerobic zone! I didn't really get comfortable during my run, though I did find a rhythm at the turn-around point.
Along the way I encountered two other runners, and in the tradition of running in Canada, we exchanged greetings.
Of course, I'm back in Saskatchewan now, and ready for the Hypothermic Half Marathon.

Here are a few pics from the rest of the run!





And for the hell of it, a shot of Banff Avenue:










No comments:

Post a Comment