Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The top 3 benefits of a graded return to running [or how to deal with weak soleus muscles ]


One of the top mistakes runners make when recovering from an injury [especially minor ones] is how they execute their return to training.  Although I was not injured during my recent marathon, at least not in the conventional sense, I did experience total failure in my soleus [lower calf] muscles during the last portion of the race.  Although this is a common problem to have during a race, I had been masking a deeper problem with my soleus muscles for some time.  By using heel lifts in both shoes, I was able to 'kick the can down the road' a bit and continue training.  But now that the 2015 Saskatchewan Marathon is in the books, it's time to fix the problem that I'm having with my weak soleus muscles.

Here are what I believe to be the top 3 benefits of a graded return to running.

  1. Minimize the risk of re-injury.  In my latest running session, I ran for a few minutes and walked for one, much the same way one does intervals.  In fact these are intervals.  By implementing this strategy, you reap many of the benefits of running without forcing your soleus muscles into failure.  You also minimize the risk of tearing the muscles.
  2. Focus on proper running mechanics. Since you're not speed training or focusing on meeting a time or pace goal you can focus on things like your running gait.  A physiotherapist recently reminded me to run through the middle of my feet, or to consciously try to distribute the impact evenly.  This is an interesting suggestion given that a post-marathon analyses of the tread of my right shoe revealed some poor running mechanics on my part.  During yesterday's run I focused on making sure I didn't slouch.
  3. Active recovery. How many times have we heard about active recovery?  Believe it or not, there is no magical time window mandating that muscles stop hurting and/or recovering--as it turns out your body will heal when it heals. A graded return to running will allow you to heal because the stresses placed on your feet and legs won't be accumulating nearly as much as they would during a normal training run.

No comments:

Post a Comment