Sunday, June 28, 2015

Six ways to make your run more exciting?


1. Lose the music

As much as I love running in Saskatoon, yesterday I did something I probably haven't done since 2002, I ran without any music or phone. The only thing I thought about as I ran was maintaining my pace and finishing the circle without slowing down and without walking.  I've found that I really tend to zone out on my runs, even the short ones where attention needs to be paid.  So on yesterday's run, I focused on pushing myself, and as a result, probably had my best short run in some time.

2. Forget your phone

If you're an experienced runner, you already know the running distance between your house and the nearest Sobeys, school and so forth.  For shorter runs [i.e. less than one hour], running sans phone is a nice way to run free and unfettered.  To be sure, it was certainly nice to take off running without fumbling for my phone to start Runtastic, and then securing said phone into my pocket.  It's nice to not feel the phone clanging against my body as I run.

3.  Run the opposite way

As revolutionary as this idea isn't, I ran a simple 3.8k circle in Forest Grove at a relatively fast clip [perhaps a bit faster than a 10k pace] in 30 degree [Celcius] weather.   Here's the thing, because I was running in the opposite direction that I normally run, I wasn't able to fully anticipate distance markers, slight inclines and declines as I normally would.  I think I've become bored of the same twists and turns, anyway.  So this made my run a bit more exciting than usual.
Assuming you'd prefer not to drive to a new place just to do a brief run, run the opposite way!

4.  Do speed work

Interval work is a lot more intense, but in my opinion can be done on any running surface including pavement.  You can tailor your session to meet your needs.  So if you've never run intervals, you can start now!

5. Run somewhere new

This is a fairly obvious one, and yet, I think the one least likely to make sense on a short run, or if you're leaving your phone behind .  But, if you do bring your phone and go somewhere new, this is a good way to spice your run up a little.  For myself, I would like to do more running on the dirt road that runs parallel to a nearby street.  Not only is the terrain easy on my legs, but it leads to a path that gradually declines as it winds through a grove of trees down to the riverbank.   The way back up provides a nice hill challenge that neither overwhelms, nor bores.

6. Do a fasted run!

There's some debate about the value of fasted running.  I would never recommend this for a long run, or for speed work, but if you're running a pretty standard 5k run, you don't really need the pre-run calories anyway.   I'm not sure how 'exciting' a fasted run is, but if you're runs are becoming monotonous, then this will at least give you something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment