Sunday, June 21, 2015

Review of PotashCorp Mayor's Marathon Day Event

The official race medal for the Mayor's Marathon Day.


Saskatoon's mayor is a runner.  Saskatoon's mayor has his own marathon.  Backstory here and here.  I am very happy to live in a city with a running mayor.  That said, let's talk about the event.  Firstly, I didn't run the race, because just a three weeks ago I ran the Saskatchewan Marathon, and I wasn't about to follow my first ever marathon with another so quickly.  So I woke up my partner and kids on this lovely Sunday morning to spectate at the race's two finish lines.  That's right, folks, there were two finish lines.  One for the 2, 5 and 10k finishers and one for the half and full marathon finishers. As a result, our car drove a marathon today, but we ... well, Jas, the kids and I walked... mostly.    




After watching a few 5 and 10k finishers cross the finish line, I observed as both of my step kids enjoyed the many family friendly attractions at the finish line.  As it turns out, there was a heck of a lot to do... if you happened to be a kid.  In addition to the bouncy castles, there were fake tattoos, face painting, balloon artist and even bubbles.

If Dharma is not a distance runner one day I will be shocked.

But here's the thing... after a stop at Flying J's to enjoy a honey bun and a vitamin zero water, we arrived at the finish line at Wanuskewin only to find that nearly all the half marathoners had crossed...   






 But then a trio of finishers arrived.

All in all, I think today's event was a huge success.  The kids had fun, runners got a chance to earn a beautiful metal, and I got to wake my family up early on a Sunday morning without any complaints. 


No comments:

Post a Comment