Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Ten reasons why running changed my life


  1. I now think of food as energy.  Inconceivable a few years ago, but it's true. Instead of deriving comfort from food, I derive strength. If it doesn't make me stronger, or contribute to my well-being, or peace of mind, then I don't want it. I still allocate a portion of my diet to things like Cheezies and Ice Cream, but I won't consume more "energy" than I actually need any more. 
  2. I've beaten back diabetes. Despite being in my late 30's and aging, I've taken complete control of the wretched disease that once posed a terrific threat to my well being.  Thanks to running, I do not need to take metformin or glipizide on the days I run.  Running requires glycogen--and thanks to being a type 2 diabetic, what do I have in excess?  Exactly.
  3. Ice baths. Ever take one? They do wonders for your muscles after a workout by helping to clear the lactic acid from your legs. This allows me to train more often, and that helps me control my blood sugar without medicines.
  4. I better understand how my body works. It's not magic... the human body is a machine, and the better care you take of it, the better it functions.  I didn't know what a sacroiliac joint or iliotibial band was, nor that the average person's body can only process about 30 grams of carbohydrates per hour (i.e. one banana) before running.
  5. I lost weight... lots of weight. I went from weighing 212lbs to 168lbs.  The correlation between running and weight loss is not necessarily supported through scientific studies.  However, when I realized how much I wanted to run, I made the decision to lose weight.  
  6. I made friends without alcohol. Let's face it, a lot of socializing these days is done over a drink.  And when the drinks are done, where are your friends?
  7. I've improved my cardiovascular health. Runners have lower pulses and probably live longer. I can hold my breath for much much longer than before, too.
  8. A sense of accomplishment (or, I got to win a medal at something). Few feelings compare to that feeling you get when you cross the finish line of your first race.  My first race was pretty unimpressive, but it sure felt amazing when I crossed the finish line and got my name in the results of an official race.
  9. Vanity.  It's impressive to say you can run several miles without stopping, or that you spent your Saturday morning running 18 kilometers.
  10. I don't need a crutch.  Goodbye, cigarettes and alcohol.
How has running changed your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment