Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Recovery 5k... on the treadmill

Today was a recovery run day, but thanks to the snow it was a bit too slushy to go out and run.  Still, I wanted to get in some quality kilometers and flush out my legs (despite my post half marathon ice bath, where I somehow failed to submerge both quadriceps).  I ran for about 33 minutes at a *slow* place (i.e. 9:50 / mile).  I would have run quite a bit more, but I began to feel slight pangs of something from my knee.  So I halted just beyond 5k, cooled down and had a protein shake, ice bath (with complete quad submersion this time) and a banana.  I also rolled my quads, and IT bands with the foam roller.  The lactic acid feels like it's mostly gone, but we will see tomorrow morning. The big news here is that I actually stuck to my game plan and didn't overdo it.  I set out to run 5k, and I ran 5k.  I resisted the urge to do another 3 or 4 kilometers--and thus risk further inflaming my left knee.  Should also mention that I walked for about 50 minutes prior to the treadmill run.

Here's a photo of a sudden lake that formed from previously melted snow.  Yes, it's springtime in Saskatchewan.

No comments:

Post a Comment