Saturday, April 19, 2014

Eighteen Kilometers

Woke up at 6:30am and by 8:45am was blazing a trail with the SRRA long run group.  I fueled up with a cup of corn flakes and crystal light two hours before the run, and then a big banana thirty minutes prior. As usual I packed a 250ml water bottle, and a Mars bar.

The first stretch of the run was on Broadway Avenue, over the bridge and right onto the trail along the river (parallel to Spadina Crescent). 
As we passed 5 kilometers, I actually thought my it band problems might be a thing of the past. But immediately upon having that though, I began to feel a minor amount of discomfort in my left knee. Over the next 4 kilometers things got progressively worse until finally I did something I never thought I'd do... I dropped back from the group and alternated between walking and running at a 5k race pace.  I kept up with this for a few kilometers before even that became too much.
Ever since my chiropractor began doing a weekly hip adjustment procedure on me, running has become more and more tough.  Thinking is that now that my hips are aligned properly, I'm using "different fibers of the same muscles".  Thus, I'm starting over in certain ways.
Realizing that I'm pretty happy not to be running an actual race, I reason that it's okay to run-walk because my situation is no longer a matter of will power, or mind over matter.  I'm simply training too hard given my physical condition.
For one of the few times on a run, I stop to photograph two geese along the river.  Yesterday's snowfall blanketed the city with a sheet of white powder.

Luckily, the run group eases up and waits for me at a waypoint; once I've caught up to them, I'm advised to get a foam roller.  From there I run-walk at a close distance until we reach the last three kilometers.  At this point the snow is beginning to really melt, and what were once snow-covered paths, are not water-soaked paths.  I stayed with the group until 300 meters from the end, when the incline of the Broadway Avenue bridge, and the crunchy ice beneath my feet was too much for my left knee.  For once, I elect not to push it.

Once we're back in front of Brainsport, I realize that my body is in agony.  I spring into action and buy a liter of chocolate milk and a small bag of sun chips from 7-11.  Ah, relief.

I'm totally getting a foam roller tonight.  Because next week:

No comments:

Post a Comment