Sunday, April 20, 2014

Running News Round-up: Death, Taxes, Boston and Blood Sugar.

By now you've probably heard about the two fatalities this past weekend at the Rock ’n’ Roll Half Marathon in Raleigh.  One of the deceased runners, Derrick Myers, is profiled in The Charlotte Observer. The 35 year old runner collapsed near the finish line.  Meanwhile in Galveston, Texas, a third runner died near the finish line of the Run Like a Diva Half Marathon.

The New York Times has a write-up about the Boston Marathon bomber.
It seems like a British guy won the North Korean Half Marathon--interesting article that talks about what running a race there is even like.

As everyone knows, Monday (4/21) is the Boston Marathon.  Those of us who took zero steps to be included in this year's race will be relaxing in the comfort of our respective domiciles.  I definitely want to run this race one day.  Right now, I think that just completing a marathon should be (and is) my objective. As some of you know, I am scheduled to make my first attempt in September at the Queen City Marathon.  QCM is a "Boston Qualifying" race, of course. but my objective is to complete the race, not qualify for anything.

In my own world of news: I'll be running the Saskatoon Police Half Marathon one week from today. My personal best is just over 1:57 (note: I've run one official half marathon race).  Since I'll be running a tougher course at a higher elevation than in Southern Ontario, I'm not expecting to set a new personal record.  The course is near (and along) the river, and it should be an interesting race.

I noticed an article on NPR (also, The Guardian has a write-up as well) about how low blood sugar causes crankiness. I'd be interested in seeing more about how elevated blood sugar (i.e. beyond the norm) alters one's mood.  My experience is that melancholy often ensues.

No comments:

Post a Comment