Thursday, April 21, 2016

On to the Manitoba Marathon

It hit me the other day about how awful it is to have to bail out of a marathon because of something as ridiculous as a two week slow down in training.  So, since dropping from the marathon to the 5K at the Saskatchewan Marathon I've done some soul searching and decided to register for the Manitoba Marathon in June.  Since I'm familiar with running in Winnipeg (thanks to running the Intrepid Dezine Half Marathon there at the 2014 Manitoba Marathon event), I'm not concerned with elevation.  And yes, the weather in Manitoba is every bit as terrible/wonderful as it is here in Saskatchewan.  I'd say the biggest superficial difference is that Winnipeg sits significantly closer to sea level than Saskatoon, and that has me thinking about potentially running a sub-4 hour marathon for the first time.
So there it is.
This Saturday I run an 18k test run as a final long run before the Saskatoon Police Half Marathon on May 1.  As silly as it may seem, my goal for this half marathon isn't just to run another sub-2 (though, let's face it, anything over 1:57 is going to be a let down), but to really see about improving my hydration strategy to something above and beyond merely hoping that there's enough on course support.  That may mean, gasp, carrying a hydration belt; but it might also mean deploying me wife to a strategic location on the course to hand me a small bottle of water (with a dissolved Nuun tablet).  It also might help if I actually "glyco-load" or "carb up" ahead of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment