Sunday, April 24, 2016

A review of Runtastic's story running

I've seen the "story running" tab in my Runtastic App, and because I didn't have any idea (or curiosity) what it was I didn't bother to use it... until now.  Since today was pretty much a recovery-type day for me (considering how much hard running I did in Vancouver last week), I figured I'd run for about 30 minutes at a relatively conservative pace.  Naturally, though, I through my plans mostly out the window and did a "fartlek" session using the Story Running feature of Runtastic.  This particular program was of the coaching variety and featured non-descript gym music you might find in Berlin.  The narrator guided me through the oddly named "fartlek" session [note: Fartlek is a Swedish creation, and according to a Google search, is defined as "a system of training for distance runners in which the terrain and pace are continually varied to eliminate boredom and enhance psychological aspects of conditioning"].  At first I had a little trouble determining when to start increasing my effort because, and maybe it's just me, the narrator was a little vague about giving the command.  I'm hesitant to criticize too much, but I will say that since my splits are being timed, it seems rather odd that the timer begins before the programs expects you to actually begin running.
The interface is similar to a normal running sessions, though the voice coach is muted by default (probably a good thing).  Overall I'm intrigued by the idea of story running, though it remains to be seen if any of the other offerings are better/worse than this.  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment