Thursday, February 26, 2015

Marathon training diary

One of the things that happens when you train is that you get a little hurt.  A few weeks ago I began my Monday long run as usual, and after about 10 minutes I noticed that "flat tire" feeling one gets when--as Dr. Google would later diagnose--the soleus muscle gets strained.  The soleus muscle is one of two calf muscles, but unlike its bulbous brother (the gastroc), this thin and relatively sinewy muscle resides in the lower leg.  The soleus is a fast twitch muscle, which means that it sees most of its action when you do speed or hill work.  If you neglect to stretch and/or use this muscle you could well experience what I went through.

The sensation was as if my right lower leg has turned to stone.  The pain stayed with me as I continued running--one problem with running in extreme cold is that stopping is usually a very bad idea--and the pain eased a bit.  I pressed on with training for another two weeks until the pain was too debilitating to continue.  I haven't run in days (this problem can sideline you for days or weeks).

And so I've been soaking my legs in hot water, taking ibuprofen with muscle relaxer and stretching.  I've also stopped my protein and creatine supplements and eschewed my attempt to get more "cut".  It seems ludicrous now that I ever contemplated gaining weight while training for a marathon.  I have, as a result, lost 4 pounds this week.

My next run is scheduled for Monday.  I intend to do a graded (run/walk) return.  Let's see how that goes!


A photo posted by John (@misterspalding) on

No comments:

Post a Comment