Thursday, December 25, 2014

The latest

So this has been an interesting month.  Originally I had planned to run more than ever before (150k+), instead I got a touch of the flu and a swollen gland and have had a fairly pedestrian month (80k so far).  The funny thing about taking time off from running to either handle an illness or avoid making one worse is that it's really hard to know exactly how much fitness you lose when you're not running.
For example, if you would have told me that taking off a mere seven days would result in my hips and hamstrings being sore the morning after I did a 5k return run I would have been surprised.  Granted, I could probably still handle a 21k run right now if I chose, but there's that word "probably."  In running your confidence needs to be better than "probably" or else you risk running misery or... injury.  And is there anything worse than sitting out a month?

Still, let's look on the bright side folks, after months of pretty good running it's probably a good thing to pull back a bit.  I wouldn't describe my running as particularly hard running (my range of pace is between 5:20/k to 6:40/k), though I've been running an average of 16-21k per run.

And so, that's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment