Wednesday, October 5, 2016

The Bulletproof Challenge: Update One - Bulletproof diet + type 2 diabetes

When I stepped on the scale this morning I weighed 4.4 lbs less than I did on Sunday. More importantly, my body fat percentage had come down by nearly a full percentage point, which equates to about 1.5 lbs of fat loss. I'd wager that those other 2.9 lbs are water/inflammation weight as my muscle weight has apparently increased slightly.  I don't expect results like this on a daily (or weekly, for that matter) basis, but I'm impressed that the overall claims of the Bulletproof gestalt are apparently correct in my case. I really do want to stress that as a type 2 diabetic who runs frequently, my situation is a tad bit unique in the population. On that note, I still have not needed any medication to control my blood sugar--this may change, but let's see.

*I should also point out that I am a fairly active person. Right now I'm running about 40 kilometres per week, core workouts every 1-2 days as well as a regime of squats and lunges.

In total, yesterday's calorie count was 2,009. My macros were 17% carbs, 64% fat and 19% protein. That's an absurd balance, perhaps even after considering that the vast majority of the fat I consumed was of the MCT variety.  The day before yesterday was a 38%/47%/15% breakdown.  Again, absurd until you realize that I lost weight.

What's unique about yesterday's diet was that it included a slice of pumpkin loaf (* made with organic ingredients by my spouse here at home, which is important to mention, I think), fair trade dark chocolate with cinnamon (again, no added garbage or unpronounceable ingredients).

I'd say the only thing that gave me any fits was the hummus I had at lunch. I had a total of 81 grams of carbs yesterday, which were mostly divided between the pumpkin loaf and the hummus. The pumpkin loaf didn't seem to have a negative effect, but the hummus did. Sadly, the hummus is on Bulletproof's suspect list.

Now one other strange item is that I have been drinking soda.

Zevia uses stevia (considered "Bulletproof") and eschews colourings as well as the evil high fructose corn syrup. Nice.

Until recently I had been drinking quite a bit of Diet Coke. Zevia is simply a better option. You can get Zevia at Dad's here in Saskatoon.

So that's the latest.  Let's see in future updates if Bulletproof really is the real deal, or a flash in the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment