Sunday, May 8, 2016

Race re-cap: Mother's Day Run 5K (Yellowknife, Northwest Territories)


In my ongoing effort to run a race in every Canadian province and territory, I ran the Mother's Day Run 5k in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.  In doing so I've discovered yet another wonderful Canadian city.  Yellowknife is unique in that it is situated just outside the Arctic Circle and the tree line.  Winters in Yellowknife are long and cold... much like Saskatchewan (the difference is the severity of winter).
I didn't go for a personal best--after last week's half marathon, I wasn't exactly recovered (a fact that was reinforced about 250 metres in to the race when I back off a bit).
I ran a pretty steady 4:59/k pace and finished pretty strong.
The race took place on the Frame Lake Trail near City Hall.  Although the trail was paved, the elevation profile had about 86 metres of uphill, including a few steep ascents.  I noted on my walk-through on Saturday that the trail was at maximum elevation around 196 metres (less than half of Saskatoon), yet despite this I found the air to be thinner than Saskatoon, though not quite as thin as Banff.  It's possible that I imagined this, but I found it particularly difficult to run faster than 4:45/k without getting winded.



No comments:

Post a Comment