Saturday, May 28, 2016

Marathon Weekend in Saskatchewan Part 1


Well, it has actually been a year since the last marathon... so here we go.  As you probably know by now, I'm running the Manitoba Marathon in a few weeks (primarily because I fell behind in training for the Saskatchewan Marathon), so tomorrow I'll be running the 5K race--I can't fathom the idea of being in town and not participating in the event.
Luckily the race expo was held at Prairieland Park once again, and not TCU place like last year.  Truth be told, there wasn't much doing at the expo when I got there.  I didn't stay too long--just long enough to pick up my race bib and tech shirt--because I had just finished a 32K run (mostly on the marathon course, interestingly enough) and still hadn't had more than 700 calories all day, despite burning 2900 on the long run alone.
The Saskatoon Road Runners had their booth as usual, and I saw a few familiar faces.  Because I'm the least talkative person to ever operate a blog, I probably spoke only a handful of words in procuring my bib and shirt.  That changed when I ran into a member of the run clubs named Sue--we exchanged the latest and gave our thoughts on the next day's race.

Then it was over.  One of the events I await all year was quite literally over (for me) in minutes.  I should say that I admire the volunteers for giving so much of themselves and their time.  I feel guilty for not volunteering.  Granted I had a 32K run on the agenda, but that's an excuse.  Next year!  Until then, however, I will volunteer at local races!


I took a single photo while inside the hall.  New Balance Saskatoon (which I've supported quite enthusiastically) had a selection of shoes on hand.  I suppose I could have used my Mastercard to acquire more shoes, but in light of a recent instagram post, I think I need to abstain.


No comments:

Post a Comment