Friday, May 20, 2016

Mogathon cancellation, Saskatchewan Marathon news and more

With just over a week until the Saskatchewan Marathon, I feel pretty good.  Now, as you know, I've switched from the full marathon to the 5k (as such, I'll be running the Manitoba Marathon in June).  I'd be lying if I told you I didn't feel like I was missing out on something special by missing the full marathon, but such is life.  The Saskatchewan Marathon is now the largest racing event in Saskatoon, btw.
And this brings me to the next topic of discussion:













One of the things I just don't understand is why the good races are disappearing from Saskatoon.  As everyone knows, the last iteration of the Bridge City Boogie was in 2014.  This time it's the Mogathon.  At least with the Mogathon we can speculate that timing was probably what killed it.  Holding the race mere weeks after the Saskatchewan Marathon (i.e. the race that most serious runners participate in) probably didn't help--though oddly enough, in 2015 the Mayor's Day Marathon event occurred days after the Sask Marathon.   There is no Mayor's Day race this year, it seems.

Although the race organizers did the right thing in agreeing to refund everyone's registration fees, they ought to have released a statement explaining the reason why the race is cancelled.  Truth be told, I'm hesitant to set aside time in 2017 before knowing what happened in 2016.



No comments:

Post a Comment