Friday, September 12, 2014

Night running in Saskatoon

Ever go running without a particular path in mind?  I did that last night when I set out to run 10k in my neighborhood.  I decided to continue down my street past Kenderdine Street--that's as far as I've been in my neighborhood.

I ran past a lot of recent houses along the way and saw a Mac store I hadn't seen before (those of you from outside of Western Canada may not realize that I'm referring to a convenience store chain: http://www.macs.ca/).  But the most surprising discovery was that of a man-made lake just 2 kilometers from my house.  How crazy is it to make such a discovery?  I did my best to snap a few picks from my journey, but you know how it is when you want to take night photos with iPhone.  Maybe the boys at Apple will invent a better camera?


I kept my pace pretty slow over the first 5k (my 5k split was 34:01), but sped up ever-so-slightly on the way back.  My final kilometer was my fastest... by far.

But here's the thing: by starting off really slow, my body eventually warmed up to the point that I was able to really hang in there without any of the usual fatigue I get when I run alone.

I didn't have any issues with my IT band, which as pretty freakin' nice.

Near the end of the run I started to really feel an intense runner's high.  The high lasted until well after the run.  It was such a terrific feeling.

I don't have any races lined up at the moment, but I'm training with the Saskatchewan Marathon (May, 2015) in mind.  I'd also like to run the Hypothermic Half Marathon as well as the Brainsport Brainfreeze (also a half-marathon).  Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment