Friday, July 1, 2016

The long and surprisingly winding road of marathon recovery






















Members of the Saskatoon Road Runners descending the hill at McPherson Avenue (aka "Big Mac").

If I've learned anything, it's that how the first run after a marathon (or a hard-run half marathon) is going to go is usually a mystery until I've actually begun it.  Such was the case on Monday when I laced up my New Balance 890 V5's and joined the Saskatoon Road Runners on their Monday evening hill work session.
It was not until I took the first few steps in a running posture that I felt a sharp (albeit not-painful) bit of something on my let side near my hip flexors.  This was the same stiffness that wrecked my running form near the end of the Manitoba Marathon.
It's hard to say what was happening, but I kept running because I was curious. The feeling eased a bit, but still felt stiff at times.  Stiff.
My guess is that I probably ripped some muscle fibres in my hip flexor near the end of the marathon. When it heals up, somebody needs to do more core work.  Hmmm...

So that's where things are right now.  I've taken it real easy this week--today is the first day I've done any push-ups or core work.  I'm probably going to need to do some planking this evening, along with more push-ups, and probably a bit of stretching as well.

There are just under two and a half months until the Queen City Marathon in Regina.  That's plenty of time to get ready.

_

In other news, New Balance Saskatoon is closing.  Given the economic situation in Saskatoon, I can't say I'm terribly surprised. Things are not too bad here, but I wouldn't say Saskatoon can support the kind of businesses that Edmonton and Calgary can.  At any rate, I'm a little sad over the closing since--for whatever reason--I've come to appreciate the New Balance brand.  NB makes some of their shoes in North America, which is a pleasant surprise.

[There's an article here about the struggle businesses on Broadway Avenue are facing].

No comments:

Post a Comment